Are you looking for a simple and easy recipe? Then you’ve come to the right place! This slow cooker roasted broccoli chicken recipe only takes a few minutes to prepare. The secret of this recipe? It is the slow cooker that allows you to make a meal for the whole family without getting tired. This recipe is so simple to make that now is my favorite dish. Just let the slow cooker do its job and prepare your dinner while you do what you want!
Does this slow cooker recipe taste exactly the same as if it were made in a traditional pan? Of course not ! As with all slow cooker recipes, the slow cooking process gives this chicken casserole a more creamy and creamy texture . In addition, this recipe is full of healthy ingredients. It is prepared with wholegrain rice, lots of roasted broccoli and a little cheese. I use low-fat Greek yogurt to add a creamy touch rather than a bechamel sauce, crème fraîche or mayo. So no need to feel guilty when you eat this delicious recipe, because it is very light in calories!Print
- 1 small onion, minced
- 200 g of long grain whole grain rice , rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 500 ml low-fat chicken broth
- 500 g chicken fillets
- 500 g broccoli cut into small pieces
- 100 g of light or ordinary Greek yogurt (optional, to have more smoothness)
- 100 g of parmesan powder
- 200 g grated cheddar
- Place the onion, wholegrain rice, Dijon mustard, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper in the slow cooker
- Pour the broth over and mix well
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker
- Cover and cook at a high temperature for 2:30 to 3:30, until the chicken is cooked through and the rice has absorbed most of the broth
- To cook the broccoli in the slow cooker, put it directly on the rice and the chicken during the last hour of cooking. 6
- When the chicken and rice are ready, place the chicken on a cutting board
- Add the Greek yogurt, parmesan and cheddar to the slow cooker
- Stir with a wooden spatula to mix well
- Cut the chicken into small pieces and add it to the slow cooker with the cooked broccoli. Mix and serve.
There you go, your creamy roasted broccoli chicken cooked in the slow cooker is already ready 🙂
Easy, quick and convenient to do, right?
I can tell you that the whole family will love this recipe!
And you too, because you will save a lot of time in the kitchen.
Other types of broccoli cooking
Be aware that if you cook broccoli in the slow cooker, it will lose some of its bright green color.
Personally, I steam it because I find it better but it takes a little longer and requires more dishes.
To steam the broccoli, pour 200 ml of water into a medium saucepan. Add the broccoli cut into pieces and cover the pan.
Bring the water to a boil and cook, 2 to 5 min, until the broccoli is crisp and tender. Be careful not to overcook it. It must be crisp and not soft. You can also steam it in the microwave or roast it.
- Do not take white rice for this recipe. Preferably use long grain whole grain rice.
- Cook this dish at high intensity, not at low intensity. Why ? Because preparing your rice over low heat will make it even softer. In any case, be aware that rice that cooks slowly will always be less firm than rice cooked on the fire or in a rice cooker. To have the firmest rice possible, set your slow cooker to a high temperature.
- Cooking chicken and rice takes between 2:30 and 3:30 on the maximum cooking position. The cooking time varies according to the brands of slow cookers. I therefore advise you to start cooking your dish early enough so that it can possibly last 3:30.
- If it lasts less, you can simply set your slow cooker to the keep warm position.
- When there is only a small amount of liquid left, you can turn off your slow cooker. The rest of the liquid will be absorbed when you mix everything.
- I do not advise you to double the quantities of the recipe.
- Some slow cooker recipes can be easily adapted, but not this one. I recommend that you make the recipe exactly as I described it, except for the cooking time which can vary according to the models of slow cookers.
- Your slow cooker may take more or less time to cook the rice. You will know that it is ready when it has absorbed almost all of the liquid.